Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Taking Care of Business...

I started my summer internship at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction yesterday. Let me tell you how I feel about my job:

Top 10 things I love about my job:
10. It involves task-oriented work... there are goals to be achieved. I like that.
9. It allows me to be a perfectionist and an organization freak... this is good-- I can be myself.
8. I get to go to the legislature and see how the state government works...
7. NETWORKING... I've met everyone from the state superintendent to the gubernatorial candidate
6. I am the only intern still in undergrad, which makes me pretty special
5. People care about what I think-- they ask my opinion about bills being sent through the legislature and whether or not DPI should support them
4. I get an ID tag on a lanyard that allows me access to the buildings
3. My office is in a cube maze... and those are super fun 
2. My office is not a cubical, though. In fact, my office is: a) big enough to hold meetings in; b) all my own; and c) bigger than my dorm room (is that sad?)
1. I get to wear cute skirts and suits to work every day... and though my girly-side rarely shows itself, I've (for the past two days at least) enjoyed looking cute and professional at the same time. 

My office is a mess of red file folders, each folder is a different case of a teacher doing something they're not allowed to do in the classroom and any accompanying documents like hearing materials, evidence, news stories, etc. It's disheartening to think there are so many teachers like that in the state, but it's also encouraging that people spend their time trying to rectify these situations... whether that's license revocation or something else. It's good work. 

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

I'm glad you've found reasons that you love what you're doing. (: