Thursday, March 18, 2004

I feel like I should write something substantial on my blog, since all the other blogs I read are about something worthwhile..... Hmmmm.....
Alright, well I guess I will comment on this story.

To begin, this guy robbed, raped and killed a young mother, and left her baby alone. How do I feel about this (all mental problems, addictions and life tragedies aside...)? That was a haneous thing to do, and I believe he should be punished. Now, I do not believe in the death penalty, but this guy deserves at least life. Because of him, two parents no longer have a daughter, siblings are missing their sister and a little boy, age three, is motherless. All because this guy decided to end her life long before her time.

Ok, second, I want to comment on the portrayal the defense council is making of this man. He was abused as a child; he has a low IQ and "severe mental disorders"; and he is/was addicted to cocaine and alcohol. Okay, while I don't want to sound naiive, being an abused child does not give you the right to take your anger/hurt out on some innocent woman. This may sound mean, and cruel, but I don't care how hard your life is, or how much you suffered. That's what therapy is for. You can't just up and kill someone because you were abused as a child...that is only perpetuating the vicious cycle.... Look at Dave Pelzer. I'm not saying that every abused child will turn out that way, but killing someone doesn't take away the anger.
Now, about the mental problems and low IQ. We have seen before in our state that convicted felons are pardoned and do not receive the death penalty because of their IQ. While I do not know enough about the human mind, and this man's IQ and intelligence level in particular, I want to say that I think this could keep him out of the death chamber, but hopefully not out of prison, or out of an institution. If we let him go free, with little or no consequence, what's to stop him from killing someone else? Furthermore, I would like to say that this man beat this woman to death with a thirty-pound tire rim...Okay, no offense, but no matter how low your IQ is, (assuming you are capable of normal daily functions independently), you would HAVE to know what you were doing to beat someone to death with a thirty pound tire rim...I mean, it would clearly be repeated blows, and with clear intent. (I say murder one)
Now onto the alcohol and cocaine addictions. Two words: Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous. While I am sure that seeking treatment is hard, and takes a lot of emotional and mental courage, I also have heard success stories. No one is perfect, but could you please tell me why we would excuse someone of murder because they were addicted to cocaine and alcohol. Please tell me that our justice system has not sunken so low as to excuse haneous crimes on the basis of addictions....

Ok, I'm done. Please disagree if you are so compelled. I'll try to write more substantial and intelligent things in my blog from now on--- No promises though!!

No comments: