Sunday, June 27, 2004

SO YEAH...

Apparently, everyone has their schedule for next year, except for me. *tear* Did I like get kicked out of RCHS and not informed about it? Or did I just miss the memo that says "If your name is Lindsay W. then you will not be receiving your schedule. Oh well, sucks for you."? Oh well. This week has been a happy and sad week. I miss Chile, and in fact, I think they call this feeling "homesick," but . . .can I really be homesick for a country I only visited for 10 days? The truth is that the entire country grew on me in a way that I cannot even describe. It is full of breath-taking scenery, spectacular views, and unspeakable beauty in nature. It's when I want to use the line (from Lonestar's song) "brushed by the hand of God." I mean, I may be a little bit cookey(sp?) because I've never been out of the States before (except when I went to Toronto at age 8 months, but somehow I doubt that counts), and I think I was just so amazed that there exists something beyond the comfort, and borders of my home. The one effect Chile didn't have on me, that I think it might have had on other people is a sense of how impovershed the world truly is. You see people everywhere who barely have a roof, who haven't seen a doctor in their lives, and who are living off of whatever they can find. (I know what you're thinking....it happens in America too, but you know what!?!?!? These people don't have an option. They can't pull themselves out of this state.) I know, I sound like some old-fangled, preachy person now, but I really realized how much I HAVE TO make a difference in the world. I have vowed not to spend any money, even if it means giving up having a car, and to go back next year. I have to figure out how to help these people. I also became more enraged with the US government while visiting Chile. Apparently, we helped the military coup of Chile overthrow a communist leader, whom everyone in Chile loved, who had stabilized the economy and government, and was doing great things for the country. And you know what!?!?! This man vowed not to leave his palace alive, and it is still unknown whether or not he killed hiimself or was murdered. And would you like to know what kind of government we allowed to be installed???? (I didn't think so, but I'm going to tell you anyway). They installed a military dictatorship, where the military police would cut off your hair if they decided it was too long, and do other insane things. I'm sorry, as unpatriotic as this may sound, but I have no desire to be associated with a country who takes part in any such actions. So there. I'm done ranting. Here's a good site of Chile photos, taken by Carolyn. It's not finished yet, just the beginning. (and there are plenty more stories to tell from work and from Chile.... just wait!)
http://www.peligro-gringos.blogspot.com In spanish, peligro=caution/danger and gringos=tourists, especially of the US species!

No comments: