Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Today, I got to see Mrs. Koch's 1 month old baby, Noah. He is sooooo precious. He's pinkish, and little, and just adorable. :)
You know, its when I see babies (like Noah, and Hannah[Grunden]) that I wonder how parents like Andrea Yates can kill their children, for whatever reason. Though she drowned her children, the more common harm done to children is shaken baby syndrome, where a young child is shaken (usually out of sheer frustration) and the best metaphor I can come up with is that it's like an egg in a small jar. The egg is the brain/skull of the child. How terrible. The other night I was babysitting for a four-year-old and a one-year-old, who is not weaned yet. She cried for nearly four hours before she finally fell asleep, because she was hungry, tired and unable to tell me what she needed. I tried everything, bottles, diaper changes, rocking, cuddling, walking outside/inside, playing, reading, etc, etc etc, but she would not be consoled. Her shriek was deafening, and I was counting back from ten every few minutes. Not because I wanted to hurt her, but because I was so confused. I couldn't help her, and she was suffering (and my ears were too.) She eventually cried herself to sleep, but that incident sheds more light on how a full-time mom could easily be pushed over the edge. Of course, that doesn't make it right, but it's clearer to me. But how you could look in the eyes of a helpless child and hurt them, frustrated or not, is still unimaginable. Sorry for the morbidity.

D.C. trip is on Friday! YAY. I'm excited.

Yard Sale Saturday morning.

And sooner or later we're gonna paint my room. I vote yellow or orange. :)

I still need to post about current events, but at the moment, I'm swamped with work, and trying to watch Law and Order SVU!


No comments: