Friday, April 18, 2008

Coffee

I wasn't going to write about this, but it's weighing too much on my heart not to. I'm struggling being in Intervarsity right now. I feel like I have to be this upstanding, amazing Christian in order to be considered "okay." I don't know exactly how to explain this.

About a month ago, I went to Greene Street, a club. I didn't drink and I don't plan to before I am twenty-one. I didn't do anything that I ought to feel guilty about, but people in IV have let me know how "displeased" they are that I was even there in the first place... I get that I'm not suppoesd to be "of this world," but it's not the same thing.

We talked in our small group about coffee (I promise this relates) the other day, about how if someone's never tried coffee before and you invite them to try it, you'll either give them an iced coffee or some hot rich blend. You don't give them lukewarm, room temperature coffee. Right? Right. We all know that iced coffee is good. Hot coffee is good, but the stuff in the middle is terrible, and we don't wnat someone to be completely turned off to coffee just because of one bad experience, so we want their first experience to be good. It's the same way with Christianity, we discussed. We need to be passionate about what we believe, because the completely worldly side looks pretty good too. It's the people in the middle, who call themselves Christians but hurt others so deeply that turn people off to it. The hypocrites, the liars, etc who say they are Christians make it difficult for people to give Christianity a second thought.

But, I argued, because the whole issue with IV is still fresh in my mind, we can't be scalding hot. We'll just burn people that way. We have to admit that we are weak, sinful and self-consumed. We have to admit we are broken, and in need of a savior. I think that's my frustration. That people around me talk to me, and probably to people not in IV, like they have it together, and don't commit "big sins."

Let me give one more example, and then I can be done. My friend (non-Christian) has been asking me questions about God and earnestly seeking answers. Then she made a bad decision with some serious consequences. And you know what? In both instances she talked to me. And I started thinking while she was talking to me about the choice she made... if I had made the same type of mistake with the same types of reprocussions, who would I turn to? And I wasn't sure if it would be a Christian or not... and that made me deeply sad.

Yes, we need to be passionate about God and our faith and stand firm in what we believe. BUT we cannot make our lives a long list of rules and regulations because we think that makes us a good person--- because we're all hypocrites if we believe that... the ones who think they're healthy don't ever go see the doctor. I want to be hot coffee, but not hot enough to burn the people around me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay, I've been thinking about guilt lately, because of personal reasons. Guilt doesn't come from God. Being sensitive to when we've made a mistake is. I guess we could call this discernment. Sometimes people just like to pick on something because they don't understand, and sometimes they really are concerned for you. Ultimately, things come down to how things are between you and God. We are responsible for our actions, and we are responsible for not making our brothers and sisters stumble. We also live in an abundance of grace, so take heart. I don't know if this applies to you at all, but I was thinking about it so I wrote it out. I love you,

Emily J.

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

I'm so proud of you for how you're processing this very hard thing. Trust me, it's a lifetime thing. I really appreciate your thought of want to be "hot coffee, but not hot enough to burn the people around me." Jesus was never shy or dispassionate about what he was about, but he also didn't shy away from being in the middle of "scandalous" or "disapproved" places. I happen to think that if you go to these places AND you're involved in ministry AND you stay authentic to who you are and whose you are, THAT is a bigger and louder testimony than staying away from those places and then judging those Christians who go there.

I have lots more to say, but maybe I should write my own post in response to your wonderfully articulated one.

Love you!