Friday, August 05, 2005

Riley update: He's doing wonderfully. He barked at the vacuum today when I was cleaning, and he wasn't thrilled when I left him inside while I mowed the lawn. And we have this singing frog stuffed animal that I showed him tonight. He was definitely perplexed by it (to say the least). He follows me around all the time now...even if I just go to the next room, he's right there behind me. We're working right now on new tricks: roll over and speak. He and Jenna have adjusted well to being around each other. Despite the age difference (Jenna is 6), they rough-house all the time, fighting over toys, playing tug-of-war, chasing each other, and fake-biting. The only one who hasn't adjusted is Hope, our cat. But that's to be expected. We have to keep them separated because Hope views Riley as aggressive when he barks, and he barks louder and stronger when she hisses at him. He's officially mastered the "puppy face" and I'm a complete sucker for it (and he knows it too!). He doesn't really get into much trouble, but when he does, I can't stay mad at him long because he just gives me THE FACE and I melt. Oh well. He's still unsure about the whole backyard thing and insists that someone be out there while he does his business. Once he's finished relieving himself, he races back inside. Unlike Jenna, he doesn't seem to enjoy just hanging out in the yard, playing, digging or whatever.
He's got some sores from wherever he was staying before he came here and they're concerning us...we can't figure out why they're there. They are not located in areas where he could have scratched or bit himself and caused these sores. It's odd and disconcerting. I'm sure we'll talk to the vet about them in two weeks, when he goes in for his heartworm pill.

It's official. I have my first over-night babysitting job Labor Day weekend. I'll be with two kids for two (very long) days. They are ages 2 and 4, and it should be okay. I really do adore these kids and I've known them since...forever. I mean, I've stayed overnight before by myself, even in other people's houses when I was house sitting...but never while being responsible for two kids. The mom told me (when she asked if I was free that weekend) that she wouldn't trust anyone else to do this...wow. No pressure or anything. I'm sure it'll be fine.

That's about it for now...I'm starting to get pre-school year jitters, and the college thing is actually starting to sink in as far as applying and actually going somewhere. Wow.

No comments: