Thursday, September 21, 2006

On Being Alive

So I was having a conversation with someone online and it really made me think... here's a snippet...

Them: What did you do today?
Me: classes, nap, small group
Me: Nothing exciting
Them: what qualifies as exciting these days?
Me: hmmm...i don't know.
Them: isn't being alive excting enough?


And I realized, with the sky a brilliant blue and the leaves just beginning their yearly color change, and the air a crisp but not cold wind-blown feel, that it is enough. It is enough. There's a song I really like, a country song nonetheless, that I'll post some of the lyrics from:
It's a great day to be alive,
I know the sun's still shinin' when I close my eyes.
There's some hard times in the neighborhood,
But why can't every day be just this good?

I think that regardless of the troubles we see every day, or the hardships we experience, each day is what we make of it. If it's a gorgeous day, great. If it rains, that's okay too. The laughter, the fun, the small successes, the budding friendships, the hope, the love, the ocassional decent food in the cafeteria, and we realize that the small things make life exciting, vibrant and wonderful.

No comments: