Monday, February 02, 2009

Relationships

There have been things that have surprised me as Drew and I date. But quite possibly the biggest thing is that people are unwilling to be supportive. And what surprises me more is that not only are they unwilling to be supportive (and happy for me), but they won't tell me why they're not.

Here's the thing. Everyone has a very clear concept of what a relationship should look like... and it's funny to me that 9 times out of 10, their concept of how the relationship should start, look, progress, etc. looks far too similar to their own. This is ridiculous.

I am no expert. But neither are the people who can't just get over it and be supportive. There is no one right way to have a relationship-- there are "wrong" ways, but no one right way. So it seems ridiculous to me that people can't just be there for me.

There are three things I want:
1. Trust my judgment. I'm an adult and I'm making good decisions and the right decisions for ME.
2. If you have a problem with Drew or our relationship, feel free to sit down with me and have an honest conversation. But don't just not talk about him when we're hanging out or make snide comments.
3. Try your darndest to be happy for me, to look at me, know that I'm happy and content right now and be excited that I have this.

Okay, I'm done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i TOTALLY agree.

i love you =)

Anonymous said...

i also meant to say:

tell people to back off.

the end.