Saturday, May 22, 2004

Stress, Stress, Stress, and More Stress!








Nothing much has happened this week. I'm really stressed about my new job, about finals, about going out of the country, about school ending, and about stuff in general. It's funny how little things can get you all worked up about all the big stuff you considered rather unimportant up until that point.
Yesterday was quite possibly the longest day I've had in a looonnnngggg time. School wasn't overly bad or anything. We watched a movie in health, and signed yearbooks. We designed houses in APES, specifically Green Architecture houses. (ours was cool!) Chemistry was EOC prep, and English was Final exam prep, as was Spanish. we just signed yearbooks in Alg. II and in Publications, we worked on our webpages. I was supposed to start work last night, but I couldn't because I couldn't find anyone qualified to sign my work permit. My employer told me that my school counselor could, but apparently he was dead wrong. We drove all over town while my sister got her hair fixed (for the eighth grade dance) looking for SOMEONE, ANYONE, who was qualified to sign the permit. Upon finding zilch, we returned to the hair dresser, with me close to tears, in fear of losing a job I had yet to even begin. Then my sister realized she still needed earrings for the dance, so my mom and I got back in the car to drive to Stein Mart to pick out some earrings for her, while she continues to receive an up-do. My mom cranks the car, and it sputters, and stops. We crank it at least five more times, trying everything we know. She is close to tears by this time too because she is stressed as well. She goes back inside the salon, to see if the hair dresser, Teresa has any jumper cables. I remain outside to call anyone I can think of to come pick my sister up to get her to the 8th grade dance. I can't get anyone to answer. I'm freaking out, so I decide to see what everyone is doing inside. I get out, and hit the power lock button on the passenger side to lock the doors. Nothing happens. I hit it again and again, and still NOTHING. I go to the drivers side and do the same thing. Nothing happens. FInally I manually lock all the doors. (that is when I KNOW for sure our car is dead.) Teresa doesn't have jumper cables, and it will take AAA at least two hours to arrive, making my sister insanely late for what is supposed to be the greatest night of her middle school life. My mom hands me money, determined to make this work for my sister, and tells me to "sprint to stein mart like you've never sprinted before and get her the earrings." I comply, even though the heat is more than stifling, it's my sister's night. I get the earrings back in record time, and my sister looks incredible, indescribable. (ever wonder why ANY parent would give up such a blessed opportunity in their child's life? more than i can fathom). My mom's friend calls and says she got our message and is on her way to pick Sherby and me up, and we'll go back to the house and I'll play mother for the night and help her get ready. Meanwhile, Teresa and I go look under the hood. We lift up the top on the battery and about three cups worth of what can be described as homemade chalk falls out. Yeah, our battery was corroded beyond imagination. My mom takes Teresa's car to Wal Mart and spends fifty dollars on a new battery for a car that she traded in today, for a smaller, not-so-gas-guzzling car. Oh well. I help my sister get ready, even though she is seething mad, at the world. She yells and screams and throws stuff, and has an all-out temper tantrum, while I try not to scream back or bang my head against the wall. She ends up being so mad while she is painting her toenails that she drops the brush, and toe nail polish gets on her black dress. Well, remover, alcohol, peroxide, and contact cleaner don't work. I was out of cleaning ideas, so I took black liquid eyeliner and covered it up (the miracles of makeup), while trying to convince her to stop crying, that all is not lost (yet). Then we can't find a dressy purse. Her earring won't close. My mom's friend is late picking us up. She hates her hair do, so she takes it out and brushes it. Amazingly, my mom's friend arrives just five minutes before, by some miracle, my mom pulls up. I take about five digital pictures, and we all pile into the car, hoping to somehow revive this night.
All in all, her night turned out fine, other than the fact that she couldn't walk in her heels. I was so tense by the time we got back from taking her, that I went running. Not a great idea, first considering it was eight thirty, and second considering that I haven't run in seven months. Yeah, oh well. It was actually a really decent run. :)


No comments: