Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Well, I have a lot to say about the whole Iraq thing. First, I just cannot comprehend in any way, shape or form HOW we can go into a country, take over, act all high and mighty because we're a civilized country and a democracy at that, and then turn around and treat the Iraqi people no better than Saddam Hussein. Regardless of your political ideology, your upbringing, your views on the war, your hatred or love for George W. Bush, somewhere deep down inside, I KNOW that any decent person knows that what OUR soldiers did to those prisoners is WRONG. I have watched specials on Sixty Minutes, listened to Jerry Agar, and watched the news, along with having read internet articles about the alleged abuse. I even read an article in People magazine where one of the seven soldiers who is being punished and held accountable for his actions (imagine that!!!!) is claiming that he did nothing wrong, and he is blaming it on his commanders. First, okay, if your commanders do a crappy job of supervising, some blame can be placed on their shoulders, but any person with morals ought to have questions about whether or not the abuse is decent and right. Further more, how can any person do such haneous things, and still believe that Saddam Hussein is pure evil. While I don't disagree with much of that former statement, I have to say that if you beat up, soddomize, scare and pour phosphoric liquid on another living human being then you are NO better than Saddam Hussein. [Note: this does NOT mean that I am not fully in support of the majority of our troups. I do not want another vietnam post-war situation. Our soldiers need support, but those that are doing immoral things that would be undoubtedly punished had they occurred on U.S. soil, should be thoroughly and rightfully punished. This rant also does not mean that I think the beheading of a U.S. citizen by Iraqis was in anyway justified.] Oh, and the whole thing about Donald Rumsfeld needing to resign. I don't know how I feel about that. I feel like he and Bush got us into this mess, but at the same time, they certainly did NOT stand in front of those soldiers and suggest or order that they commit these offenses.

The people who protect us and serve for us in a time of danger or war are those that are shaming us and killing our image. If I were another country, I would think twice before befriending Americans....soldiers or not.

I thought the country I was born in, the country I grew up believing in was above this. I guess I was wrong.......

No comments: