Monday, July 19, 2004

This post is in response to "blank"s post. I will be the first to admit that I don't take everything the Bible says in a literal translation, and I am willing to bet a whole lot that "blank" doesn't obey everything or believe everything set forth in the Bible.

I have done a lot of research in the Bible on this passage, and I have found a couple of things. One, Jesus never makes any call on whether or not same-sex marriage is unbiblical or against God's will in any way. Second, the Bible says that a man shall not lie with another man (Leviticus), but in the same passage, it also says that no one is to eat rare meat, have tatoos, cross breed livestock or wear clothing made of blended threads. While I have never done the first three, I wear clothes of blended threads daily. Who is to say that we can do one thing and not do another? God certainly hasn't come down, in a booming voice and proclaimed that we can do all of the once-forbidden things, except for same-sex marriage. Certainly, though, our country is not on its way to hell because we wear clothing of multiple threads. Also, in Timothy the exact translations of "homosexual" are not known and it is very unlikely that it is used the same way both then and now. Wait, don't forget that Timothy is also the one who is against women braiding their hair, wearing expensive clothing and jewelry, and does not permit women to speak at church. Now, as far as I am aware (and please, correct me if I am wrong), we allow women to do all of these things today! I do not take everything the Bible says literally.

I also firmly believe that sexuality is not something people can control. I cannot comprehend why someone would choose to be homosexual, knowing full-well, all the torment and hatred they would be put through just because of their sexuality. I believe that being homosexual or heterosexual is part of who God made each of us to be. God made us unique and special, and He loves us for it. I believe that our sexuality is not our choice but rather an integral part of God's ultimate plan for us and for the rest of humanity.

Disagree with me if you wish, but don't ever tell me that my way of thinking is unbiblical, especially when I go to church often and I have accepted Christ as my Savior.


No comments: