Friday, July 30, 2004

Well, what can I say? Life is going pretty well, except we are still waiting for the judge to pass down an order in my parents' child-support/custody case. It has been over six months since we went to court, and yet no order is in place. But that is a discussion for another time.

In other news: Cross country has started back. It appears we have a very large turnout which is great! We have a new head coach: Coach Jamar Bryson, and two assistant coaches: Coach Lachance, and Coach Brongo. The first day, we just did some stretches, an easy run, and then some more stretches. Eleven people came to practice that day. Yesterday, we did circuits, but only four people showed up. Two girls, two boys. There were fifteen circuit stations. I'll try my best to remember all of them:
1. Jumproping
2. V-ups, an alternate to sit-ups
3. Sit-ups
4. Push-ups
5. Leg kicks
6. Butt-kicks
7. Mountain climbers (hard to describe)
8. Lunges
9. Squats, which weren't really squats. You stood in front of a bench, and jumped up onto the bench, then jumped off, then on, then off, over and over again.
10. Alternating leg-ups on a bench (put one foot on the seat of a bench, then hop up, placing your other foot next to it, and put the first foot back on the ground. Repeat until you think your legs will fall off)
11. Stair runs
12. Weight running. (we swung our arms as though we were running while holding weights)
13. Leg lifts
14. Reverse push-ups (or at least, that's what I call them). You sit with your legs straight out in front of you, your feet on a bench, and your hands behind you on another bench, so there should be a good two feet or so between the benches. Then you lift your self off the bench, and lower and raise your self between the benches, using your arms. I loved this one!
15. There was one other one, but I don't remember what it was.
Today, we ran down to Fletcher park, where we did four hill sprints, and then some drills, just strides and deer runs. Fun stuff!

I work a lot, but I enjoy it so it's all good. I worked 5-11pm last night, (Thursday night) and it should have been an easy, laid back night. And it was, until about 10:30. About this time, three drunk guys came into the theatre, and at the time we didn't know they were drunk. All of a sudden, they began harassing one of our door people, who takes tickets. They got all in his face and shoved him at one point. Ms. Teresa, a temporary manager, threw them out. Meanwhile, Justin, who is a projection manager, was talking to these six teenage girls (like thirteen or fourteen years old), and they told him that the same guys had lifted up one of the girls' skirt, and then talked about some very vulgar things. So Mike, one of the managers, calls 911 to get police down to the theatre quickly. The guys finally left the property after some threats to bring their "people" down to the theatre. The police got there, meanwhile, and we found out that the guys had been pulled over about a mile from the theatre for drunk driving. Much too much action for a Thursday night. You know the managers are overwhelmed when they don't bother to check your inventory sheet or count your money to see if you are off. They just put it in a drawer and tell you to go home. They didn't even nag me to clean up, which was good because I was annoyed. Tim, the guy who worked next to me, should have cleaned up, but he left an hour early, and told me he wasn't "cleaning nothing." It ticks me off when people don't pull their load. Alas alack, I ended up cleaning up anyway, reluctantly. It seems to me that cleaning up and picking up the other employees' slack could be good or bad. Good: I know I'm doing what I should be doing, and I think it's fair. The managers shouldn't have to clean up after us. It's not their job. Bad: It's happened multiple (5 or 6) times in the past week and a half, and it only furthers the problem because I'm too scared to tell the managers. I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but it gets on my nerves when I have to stay an extra hour and a half to clean up because the person I was working with left me. Certainly, by me cleaning and keeping my mouth shut about it, let's the others get away with not doing squat. But it's not my place to enforce the rules. Oh well. *sigh*

Today, four movies open, so I am sure that the theatre will be busy. I work until 11pm tonight, until 1:30am tomorrow, and then until 11:30pm Sunday night. But I enjoy those late-night times, because we always have police officers onduty. The four movies are Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, The Manchurian Candidate, The Village, and Thunder Birds.

No comments: