Friday, June 24, 2005

Okay, I was thinking today about the things that make me happy in life--- and it made me happy and smiley just to think about them. Here's the condensed version of what makes me happy and smiley: (oh, they are in no particular order)

1. CHILE (the country...chili is okay too!) and the Gaia School (Paola, Rob, Juan, Gisell, Orlando, Dagly, and Alvaro)
2. my school (I love my hs...I couldn't ask for a more learning-centered, academically challenging, and motivating environment in which to learn)
3. my friends (Goodberrys [and learning to ice skate... it was quite the scene, I'm sure...and going hiking] with Jason; Palace Point with Cameron, Chile with Marsha and Kit and all the other cool kids, lunch with Mark with a too-perky waitress, and all the other memories...wow.)
4. dance (or at least it did...somewhere in my heart, the passion is still there, but for now it's become a new kind of memory...not good, not bad...it's just there. I heart the good memories that haven't been erased by the prominence of the bad ones, and of course I love the people I met-- the kids my age, and the kids I taught, and my teachers...)
5. my sweethearts- (aka my doggies and kitties, Finney, Max, Mysti, Jenna, Deacon, Hope, Ginger and Casey)
6. Bojangles iced tea
7. Country music
8. My church, youth program and youth leaders (and all the other pastors and my friends there)
9. The smell of the air in the minutes before a thunder storm
10. Overalls and ribbons tied in my ponytail (a phase I will likely never outgrow)
11. TV shows (there are only a few that deserve this list): Strong Medicine, Law and Order: SVU, West Wing and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and Friends (we have most of the seasons on dvd...a definite, constant source of laughter when I need it!)
12. Movies: Casablanca, Miss Congeniality (1 and 2), Sound of Music (as it is on VHS with Julie Andrews) and Promises (a documentary about the effects of the Palestinian/Israeli conflict on children)
13. Books: When the Last Leaf Falls, Amusing Ourselves to Death, Humanity: A moral history of the 20th Century
14. Clay Aiken
15. Writing my novel... actually I have two works-in-progress right now. One of them will remain top secret until it is (if it ever is) done
16. the color yellow
17. the smell (don't think i'm crazy) of hardware stores and craft stores, and sort of shoe stores... but not as much
18. my gym, especially this one guy that works there...er...I mean, especially the bikes, the indoor track and the stair-master
19. my car... it's just all-around wonderful...most of the time!
20. doing things that weird other people out...it's super-fun. like...answering my cell phone and preceeding to have a conversation, even though the phone never rang and no one is on the line, or answering my home phone one of three ways:
1. in Spanish
2. "Thank you for calling Papa Johns pizza. How may I help you?"
3. "Orange." (or ocassionally "Purple.") You see, a lot of people, (even on Full House)
answer the phone with "Yellow" as in, an alternate version of "hello." Why yellow? Why not purple or Orange?
And there are other fun ways to weird people out...dance around in a public place to whatever song happens to be on their music system...weird looks are fun to get...
21. Flex committee, though I have to go during summer vacation, is super-awesome. I heart working with the teachers and the other two students to create and improve flex programs
22. Babysitting
23. Research papers--- okay, I'm a dork, but that's okay with me. I really enjoy consuming information and formulating ideas, comparisons, or whatever.
24. Being hyper, and as I informed Ms. Greenwalt (and a few other students), it doesn't make me immature...just happy and energetic and/or excited...there is a difference. (suprisingly, she agreed! haha)
25. the news...i feel so informed and well-rounded...plus, I learn a lot (mad props to CNN, MSNBC, our local news stations, and the NY Times)
26. Duke Bball, even though we're losing players to the NBA...
27. Crest toothpaste...yeah, that's random, but oh well
28. my Saucony running shoes...I heart them sooooo much
29. one thing that makes me happy is the idea that I can effect change in the world--- I have the power...it sounds trite...but it means so much to me that I can have a lasting impact on the world--- I don't have to be a vapor that comes and leaves...I can be something. I can be the one who finds a cure for cancer...or AIDs, or who helps save lives in other ways...someone who impacts the world, echoing change and betterment long after I leave...that would be awesome. The idea itself makes me happy...I can't imagine the feeling of actually accomplishing that...wow. How amazing.
30. the prospect of going to college and getting married, and getting a job, and having kids, and growing old together with the man I marry...the future in general makes me happy

So there it is...it's blah and just a bunch of incoherent nonsense, so I promise to come back with something more next time...something of substance with importance or pertinance in your life...maybe (but probably not, but i'll try none the less)

No comments: