Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Gonna be a long week

I'm sitting on my bed right now, the pink, green, orange, blue and purple stripes beneath me. And I wonder how exactly I'm going to make it through my second day on crutches. Every joint, bone, muscle and inch of my body is in incredible pain. My wrists are swollen, and my underarms have nice black and purple bruises.
I spent all day Saturday and Sunday trying not to miss out on anything that was going on around me: the Gathering of Outcasts conference, playing Nintendo at Laura Jo's apartment, going to church, going to a small group meeting, etc. It was after dinner with my small group that the breaking point came for me. We were going down the stairs from the Caf and, I was refusing to use the elevator, as usual. So I was hopping down the stairs on my good foot and my knee buckled and I fell. Yes, Reader, I fell on my good ankle. The pain was only temporary, but my other ankle was still swollen and bruised. I finally decided to go to Student Health Center and have someone look at it. I didn't think it was anything more than a sprain, but they obviously thought there was a possibility it was fractured because I had to get it xrayed. That was pretty painful because they make you put your ankle in really awkward and painful positions.
They put me in an air cast and gave me a pair of crutches. So I traded in having one part of my body in pain for having every part of my body in extreme pain. I am not so graceful on crutches, and it takes me six times as long to get anywhere on campus.



















In other news, It's HALLOWEEN!
IV is having a Halloween party tonight. I'm going as Pippi Longstocking On Crutches. I'm very excited. And tomorrow night, my small group is going Reverse-Trick-or-Treating. We're going into a low-income neighborhood to give the kids personalized goody bags with candy and other cool stuff. I'm very excited about that too, though I think I'll probably have to hang in the van the whole time, while every one else delivers the stuff. That's okay, I guess.

No comments: