Tuesday, October 10, 2006

No one warned me about this!!!

I went home this past weekend (Friday through Tuesday) for fall break. It was wonderful to get to spend time with my family and we did a lot of fun stuff. We had a yard sale, which started way too early on Saturday morning, but I finally got my 3-year-old laptop sold. I got some much-needed rest, and picked out my courses for next semester. On Sunday, we went to see The Lion King at Memorial Auditorium.














The costumes, props and set/scenery were amazing! The acting, singing and dancing were amazing as well, and I had goosebumps the entire time from the quality of performance.
On Monday, my sister forgot her bookbag when she drove to school, so she called and woke me up at home and I took her bookbag to her. This was frustrating, but it was also nice because I had an excuse to go back to my high school and say hello to my old teachers and my friends. Mom and I went out for Indian food for lunch and that afternoon, I babysat for baby Sofia, who is now a grand total of 6 weeks old! And what a good baby! After that, I got overly-productive (as is my problem sometimes) and did all my Spanish homework for the next month. That is one of the nice things about getting a syllabus-- you can do your work ahead of time. :)
Tuesday, today, Mom and Sherby left for the airport early this morning, and I sort of said goodbye from under the covers. Then I got up and played with the dogs. Then I had lunch with Jennie. Then I drove to C-H to visit with Dad for a while. Then I made the trek back to Gboro, half happy, half sad. I love it here, but when I go home, I realize that I miss it more than I allow myself to know while I'm at college.

N one warned me, however, that when I came back home after staying away for five weeks that I would feel different. When you're living out of a suitcase and your family has to fill you in on their everyday activities, you realize that the dynamics have changed some. It's not that they are treating me any different, but they have had to learn to exist without me around 24/7 just as I have had to learn to live without them. So when we're all back together, we have to re-learn how to co-exist and then we have to catch each other up on our lives. It's not exactly how I expected it, but I think that's a huge part of college, and certainly a part of growing up.

















URBANA 2006! Very excited about this...more to come on it later.

No comments: