Monday, August 07, 2006

3 DAYS! That's how many more days I have in Raleigh/Chapel Hill before I leave for Greensboro. I keep thinking that one morning I'm going to wake up and flip out, but I have yet to do so. The million little things that still have to get done aren't weighing me down; the idea of living on my own isn't a daunting task lying just ahead anymore; I'm excited about my classes and whatnot. The truth is, I'm not worried. And I thought I would be by this point. I'm not stressing out. And I thought I would be by this point. And for those of you who've traveled with me (L.A. and Costa Rica) or who know me really well, I FREAK/STRESS/WORRY about every little, itsy-bitsy, teeny, small, microscopic thing that could ever possibly happen.
But here I am, on Monday night, moving in on Friday and I'm not worried. This newfound, non-worrying Lindsay, (not so much non-worrying, because I still worry about inane stupid things) is beginning to worry me. Isn't that strange? I'm not worried about college and that's worrying me. Isn't that dumb? That I'm not stressing about a huge change in my life, and that's beginning to stress me out.

So, I was reminded Saturday night, sitting in the church parking lot, after 11pm, over Frosties from Wendy's, that the people I care about are always going to care about me. They're always going to love me. They're always going to be here for me. I'm not sure I ever doubted it, but it's always been in the back of my mind-- what happens when I leave? Will it be different to come back? Of course it will. But the people and the way we feel about each other aren't going to change. And that's really cool to know.

So, just one more thing before I call this post finished. I've always wondered because it always seems to be this way-- you really like a person. You don't think it's possible they could ever like you back. You don't know how to act around them or what to say. But nonetheless, you can't do anything else with your feelings because no matter how unrealistic, that fluttering in your heart when you see them doesn't just go away. Sometimes I wonder why in the world my heart has no handle on reality. It would be soooo much easier. :) It's funny that I should think of this, but I think the only to-be-taken-seriously quote in Talladega Nights was "The human heart is a mystery," or something to that effect, about how Ricky Bobby keeps on loving his father, even after so much let-down and disappointment from him.