Thursday, August 31, 2006

Spartan-land Update

So, there's not a whole lot to write about here in Spartan-land. Amanda #2 and I climbed the rock wall, which was a blast. I went to a luau with InterVarsity, and at every club meeting or function I feel more and more like I belong. There are days when I feel like I've known these people all my life.
Everyone on campus is sick with a sore-throat. So I've been putting on hand-sanitizer and washing my hands like it's my job.
I have officially learned the value of power-napping in college. I have about an hour between classes, but my dorm is about 3/4 of a mile from the buildings where my classes are. So it takes me about 8-10 minutes to walk back to my dorm. At that point, I have exactly one hour until my next class starts. I can then sleep for about 30-35 minutes and then power-walk back to the buildings where my classes are. It's nice to get that extra exercise and the naps, however short, are refreshing.
One thing I've noticed about a lot of the people in campus ministries is that they are completely welcoming of me and others. They are eager to have lunch with us, hang out, talk online, or just call to see how I'm doing. It continues to amaze me how welcome I feel when Tiffany and Brandon stop me in the cafeteria and have a 10 minute conversation with me, just because. Or when someone says hi to me as I'm walking to class or when someone asks if I want to have lunch with them...I guess I had assumed that they would welcome me when I was at meetings, but beyond that their "job" would be "done." But it isn't and it isn't a job to them. It's really nice to feel like people know you, care about you and want to hang out with you.

The next step is to get a job so that I have something to do with myself on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons.

Mondays I thought would be the long days, and they are, but they are certainly nothing compared to high school. In high school, I went to classes from 9am-2:40pm with a 25 minute break for lunch (I know I shouldn't complain, because most kids start hs at 7:30am...). But here, I have class from 9-9:50, then a break until 11. Then class from 11-11:50, then a break for lunch. Then I have class from 1-1:50 and a ten minute break until my other class from 2-3:15pm. That schedule happens on Mondays and Wednesdays. Then I usually have some downtime in my dormroom until later that evening--- every other Monday I have another class from 6-8pm, and on Wednesdays I have InterVarsity small group from 7-9pm. I'm busy but I love it. I would like for my day to start later than 9am, but other than that I really, really love my schedule. And thus far, my classes are going well.

And the work load? As of the third week, it's still easier than high school. We'll see if that lasts, though!!!!


I hope you never look back, but you never forget

All the ones who loved you in the place you left.
I hope you always forgive and you never regret
And you help somebody every chance you get.
Oh, and you find God's grace in every mistake,
And always give more than you take.
But more than anything, yeah more than anything...
My wish for you,
Is that this life becomes all that you want it to.
Your dreams stay big,
Your worries stay small.
You never need to carry more than you can hold.

And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you,
And wants the same things too...
Yeah, this is my wish.

No comments: