Friday, August 11, 2006





I moved in to the dorms today. I really think I'm going to like college, though I suppose it's hard to tell after only ten hours or so. So far it feels like a mix between camp and middle school, though that's hard to say too because I never did go to an overnight camp. My dorm room is perfect...it's not nearly as small as I thought it would be, or at least it doesn't feel that way. I've started tacking pictures (like at least 500) up all over my walls (Kudos to Emma for modeling this idea for me in her room...) and the desk fits all my books and supplies nicely. The bed is a little higher than I'd probably like, but the nice thing is that it (at 3 feet off the ground) can store not only my suitcase, but also two chests of drawers.

I only slept for about an hour total last night, mostly because I was so excited. So today, after driving my car up here, and organizing, unpacking, rearranging, shopping, eating and talking and just being around my parents, Jennie and Sherby, I was a little overwhelmed and overstimulated. I was, however, a little nervous about how I would handle it when the time came for everyone to leave, but it turned out that I was fine.

Dinner was a little crazy because they gathered all the freshmen together, or at least all those who showed up, to eat with our counselor/leader people from orientation. We didn't actually get to eat with our groups, though. Everyone could just eat with whomever they wanted. Okay, so being tired, a little unsure, and not entirely confident, I ate alone. I am happy here, comfortable and loving each passing moment, but I'm still, in some ways, the person I was at home-- a little unsure of how to just butt into a group of people who are already eating together, who clearly know each other, etc. I'm sure there were other people in my same boat, but I honestly didn't have the energy to find them. Oh well. I've got nine months of freshman year to figure out how to do that, and I have a feeling it will get much easier with time, especially when I'm not tired and overwhelmed and overstimulated. haha.

So, I also wanted to post what I remember of some funny conversations I've had recently. They make me laugh anytime I think about them.

"So, are you all done packing?"
"Yeah, mostly. I've got a few more clothes to pack, but I'm almost done. I packed all my favorite books and picture albums."
"You're such a girl. Us guys, we just pack a few pairs of clothes and the playstation."
"Was playstation around when you were in college?"


"You're the only person I know who laughs while biting into her burrito."


"You've got issues."
"I know, but I love'm."
"Yeah, I'm kinda partial to mine too."


"I'm going to go home and comfort my dog. She's probably a little weirded out by that girl who kept telling her she was cute."

No comments: