Thursday, August 14, 2003

Please indulge me while I vent. Okay, so I have an essay type thing due for AP Environmental Science on Monday. That is all well and good, especially because I love to write. Okay, so we have to write about OUR environmental worldview. FINALLY a worthwhile topic in school. So I started researching on the internet because my teacher wants us to site sources other than Miller's textbook. So I am reading and reading and trying to gain an understanding of how other people view their role in the environment. Though I have already made up my mind as to what the environment means to me, I tried to keep an open mind while reading. That is only fair to those people who think differently than I do. Okay, so here is one of the reasons behind the "Anthropocentric Worldview" (by the way, "anthropocentric" means "human-centered.") Alright, so I am reading and I can kinda sorta (but not really) see where they are coming from on most of the reasons until I reach the one that says, "THERE IS ALWAYS MORE." Yes, my friends, people in this world actually believe that our resources are inexhaustible. Okay, well let's use an example. Let's say. . .the world in sufficiently lacking in paper products, so you cut down all the trees you can find. (I know, you can't imagine that actually happening, and it probably can't in a small amount of time, but it can happen over decades.) Now, how exactly are you going to get more trees. Okay, so you say, well, if we recycle the paper we made from those trees, then why to we need more trees? One word. OXYGEN. I know, this is stretching it a little, but I just don't see how people can ACTUALLY BELIEVE that we have an UNLIMITED amount of resources. That is my rant, and truly I am not usually this mean about stuff, but COME ON. This is unreasonable. Yes, technology is improving but that CANNOT and NEVER will be able to make up for what comes naturally. I just don't get it. Tsk tsk. I don't know what this world is coming to.I only hope that I don't live to see us ruin our planet. IT IS THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE!

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect." -Aldo Leopold
As KLA would say, "True dat."

I really do keep an open mind when people think differently, but this is craziness!!!!!

Remember "We NEED the Earth, but the Earth DOES NOT need us!"

God bless, and please ponder this and take it to heart.

No comments: