Saturday, July 12, 2003

Alright, so today I painted the dance studio. It was fun and it looks nice, and it was most definitely a labor of love. The thing is, I would do ANYTHING for my dance studio. I would teach for no pay, just because I really want the kids I teach to have a good experience. (I am going to get mushy for a sec). You see when I was little, all I ever wanted to do was be in the New York City Ballet Company. That was my dream (that and playing soccer with Mia Hamm one day). I worked hard, but whenever someone would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I answered a dancer in the NYCB, they laughed or said "that's nice" very nonchalantly. I am not complaining, but no one seemed interested in my dreams, and that's not what I want these kids to think. You see, I know that not every kid that comes through the studio cares about the NYCB, but some do, and some might aspire to be there one day, and if they do, then I want to encourage them to believe in themselves and go for it. I want to put their goals a little closer within reach. Anyway, I would do anything for my studio. I have listened to "(I can't get no) Satasfaction" by the Rolling Stones as a possibility for the jazz dance, but I am not sure. I have also picked out the music for a solo I am going to do. The song is by Melissa Manchester and it is called "Don't Cry Out Loud." It is a really cool song and is perfect for a lyrical/modern dance, which is the genre my solo is going to be. On the Melissa Manchester CD, there is also a really cool song called "To Make You Smile Again." I like the lyrics, so I will share them with you. They are totally worth your time to read them, so please, please do.

Somebody's been cryin'
Cryin' far too long
So I sat down hoping
There was something in this song

To make you smile again
Oh how I would love to see you happy
To find that extra something to believe in
You've been there before,
So it's only a smile away

Until you laugh again
Just to really feel one day completely
Tell me what it takes and if you
really need me
To make all your grey skies blue today

Sometimes you find that in forgiving
You can mend a broken heart
But somehow you're afraid to turn around
To see there's someone who feels like you

Who wants to smile again
It's not so long agowe shared forever
Everybody goes through stormy weather
But together there's a lifetime to see it
through
And if you would just smile again
I'll start smilin' to.

The chorus of the song I will do my solo to, goes like this:

Don't cry out loud
Just keep it inside
Learn how to hide your feelings
Fly high and proud
and if you should fall
Remember you almost had it all.

It is a really cool song, and I can't wait to start choreographing the dance to it!!!!! Write something in the chatter box. Especially if you have any ideas for the jazz dance song. .. . . Later guys.

No comments: