Friday, July 11, 2003

Well, it has been brought to my attention that I have not blogged since Wednesday. Ok, well I am back now, and sorry for the break. I guess at least one person is interested in my life and my writings! LOL. Well I have been working and running mostly, and thinking about life. That's a deep deep subject and it requires much thinking. I have also listened to some interesting music, and I have begun thinking about possible songs to have my Hiphop I, and Jazz I, classes dance to. No really good ideas so far. I am trying to find something upbeat, with maybe an oldies feel for the jazz class, and I might as well explain why. (First off, you know that I am teaching both these classes, right? Teaching and assisting, what I did last year, are two very different things. Assisting, you just help out and sub in for the teacher if he/she has to be gone. When you teach, you teach every week, you pick out the costumes, the music, and YOU choreograph the dance. You also do basic lesson plans in terms of what techniques to teach which weeks.) The jazz class is ages five and up, and is a competition class. If you know me REALLY well, and talk to me a lot during the first 4 months of the year, then you know all about competitions. Competitions are where dance companies go to an auditorium or a school on a Saturday or Sunday and compete against other dance schools. Each dance is catergorized by teh genre of dance, and the age group of the dancers in the dance. Anyway, there are judges, (usually about 3 to 5 judges) and they watch and score your dance piece based on technique, style, choreography, synchronization, etc. The judges are experienced dancers and are all middle aged. Upbeat music gets them "into" the piece, and an older generation song would give them something to relate to. This sounds funny because neither of those two things are on the score sheet, BUT it's human nature to like something you can relate to or something that interests you or that you can "get into." So, any ideas would be welcome. For the hiphop dance, competitions are probably not going to be an option. I will be taking a hiphop class that will compete but hiphop is a very hard genre to compete in, and therefore it is EXTREMELY difficult to even place in a competition with a hiphop dance. The hiphop class that I am teaching is for anyone with little or no hiphop experience. And the jazz class is for younger children with little or no dance experience. (so, if you know anyone who might be interested, tell them to call A'La Dance Magic. There are many other classes to choose from in a variety to dance styles, there are even karate and gymnastics classes. Sorry, I have become a poster child for my dance company...LOL.) anyway, so any ideas for music are welcome and can be emailed to me or posted in the chatter box. So, PLEASE, if you have ANY ideas, let me know. I could really use the help. (Just a note: I have to have the dancers completely ready to compete by mid-December, and the class meets only once a week. . . so PLEASE, I am beggin' for your help, and any ideas would be SO GREATLY appreciated.) Thanks!

"Memories are strange things. There are good ones and bad ones. And the weirdest thing is, when something terrible happens, we often block it out. Then, later in life, the memories come back and tear us up, because of the pain that we never fully dealt with when it happened." -Anonymous

No comments: